I easily believe music skill is hereditary. Unless you are very lucky and have some mutated gene the chances are that you look at people like this and drool enviously of their skills. As far as my musical heritage goes...
I am from a line of Silver bands (Trombones, cornets etc), and very few sounds in the world can actually stir me up like a superbly played band. If you are bored you can see part of my history here. My grandfather on my dads side was one of the founders (see pic below). If you look for the name Reg Pugh on the site it pops up here and there.
If you have ever watched the film The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain. The chances are that you have seen and heard Porthywaen band as they were in it.
A film worth watching if you like this type of stuff is Brassed Off. The music is good, and the storyline is about the troubles faced by a colliery brass band, following the closure of their pit.
Here is a clip featuring a song I like:
In summary, I did once play the Tenor Horn. but that didn't last too long. I own a Bass guitar, but stopped playing that when I got married. :( Am pretty much rubbish at all other musical instruments. I don't have great rhythm so don't dance. I am too tall for a dance partner really, me and Cath dancing look awkward. anyway... it's getting late... now I will listen to Silver bands and fall asleep...

No comments:
Post a Comment