Mad.co.uk says "The Advertising Standards Authority has ruled that the campaign (above) is not in breach of the advertising code after receiving more than 300 complaints. The ASA decided that it was unlikely to mislead or “cause serious or widespread offence” and that it was an “expression of the advertiser’s opinion”. To merely provide food for stimulating debate, would the BHA have ever countenanced an ad saying “There is probably no Allah?” And if it did, would the ASA rule again that it was an expression of opinion?"
I don't understand atheism anyway. Surely claiming that you don't believe in anything means you believe in something thus negating the claim of being an atheist? That's probaly why they describe themselves as Humanists instead.
Professor Richard Dawkins says "This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion". How did he come to that conclusion? Surely you can think about a religion?
Anyway my favorite quote on the subject comes from Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice (eek!) and he says "Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large". I can't decide if he hates Atheism or Bendy-busses more?!?
People are random...

Haha, that bendy bus quote is hilarious! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree re: atheism... most people who call themselves atheists are really agnostics and don't really understand the terms so I'm always a bit sceptical..
I don't know. I can see that atheism is a valid philosophy. But I think most atheists are actually anti-religionists.
ReplyDeleteIn some respects every religious adherent is an atheist because there are plenty of gods they don't believe in. I like the quote attributed to Richard Dawkins when he said 'the difference between me and a Chrsitian is that I believe in one less god than they do'. I thought that was quite clever.